Here are a few facts on Patents highlighting importance of them to a company:
- IBM generates revenue approximately US $1 billion from licensing its IP
- Infosys earned close to $300 million (10% of the revenue) purely from patent pending IP in 2006.
- Start-up ventures in late 19th century and early 20th century Japan became industrial giants and pillars of the Japanese economy –Toyota, Matsushita, Sony and Honda – thanks to the patented inventions of their founders.
- There has been a rise in patenting front from the Indian companies like Dr. Reddy's Laboratories has filed 205 patents from 1995- 2005, Ranbaxy 259, Biocon 800
- India is a hub of patent filing ideas for the IT based U.S. companies. Indian units of Cisco Systems, Intel, IBM, Texas Instruments, GE have filed 1,000 patent applications with the US Patent Office and Texas Instruments has 225 US patents awarded to its operations in India. Wipro an Indian software company has filed 13 patents in 2007, while Infosys' SETLabs has generated over 82 invention disclosures and filed over 20 patents.